Tuesday 14 February 2012

Past, Present, Future, . . .

. . . . , it all comes together in Relay.

If you've worked in RFLofSL for a while, as many of YOU have, this should all sound SO familiar,...

I was a contract mechanical designer for 12 years, in the last 9, in a small 2-3 person design studio before the down turn in the automotive and manufacturing industry. So I learned how to wear several job "hats" all day long, enven working multiple project as different stages. And I've worked with people of different skill levels, using their strong ones, and developing their weak ones.

A typical project length for us might be a month to 2-3 months range. Every project required the coordination of many people I never met in person, and the refinement of details as the project progressed.

For example, I'm designing a press, I know some of the forces needed, but as I design more of the press, those force slowly get known, to the point I can order the parts and have then arrive in time for when the assembling of the real press is scheduled to begin. Some parts can wait until later, some parts need to be know right away because of lead time in the purchase ordering process.

The other major skills is dealing with gaming changing issues as you can imagine. And the last is how to pace oneself to finish the project. I once worked 48 days straight every day, and never felt burnt out, panicked, stressed out,... I am working with other professionals and we are all working our professions in a professional manner. But we are also humans, and we make mistakes, but as professionals, get deal with it in a professional manner and move on.

I'm pretty good at seeing the whole project scope, developing a concept of the whole project while, working out a sequence of events and deadlines to keep the whole project moving at a steady pace, coordinating with everyone I need to coordinate with, all the while refining the constructing details of each stage and level and meeting the deadline with a quality job.

The key is communications, up and down the chain, making sure the people get the info, when they need it and prioritizing task. Task that help people in their task rates higher than task that move me along in mine. But you know all this all ready,... ;-P

The project lead should share progress reports to all members, which does help keep people on task, helps them make decisions, as they're hearing details from other team members progress. The lead should also report progress to his superior to keep them informed of your progress, which helps them and the team, for when there are issues of concern, not being addressed and can be quickly efficiently communicated back down. 

Otherwise, no issues, no time wasted, and everyone's on task. I'm not wasting my superiors time making then wonder what going on, they know. And my team not wasting time on a fools errand.

Overall "directives" flow top down, summary reports flow up. Works on small design offices in the real world and that's how I am doing my undertakings here RFLofSL.

The sharing of my working philosophy may have taken 10 minutes of my efficiency today, but what did I just do for all of us for the future?

Bain

No comments:

Post a Comment