Tuesday 7 February 2012

And so it begins,...

Well, well, well. 

We are well into the new year, and that means, the new season for "Relay For Life of Second Life" will be kicking off. How cool is that?! As you know, this season's theme is "Time For A Cure". Which in a place like Second Life, a theme like that, is a license to go "nuts" for the creative's minds for the season's events and builds. Or at least that's what I hear from some of the teams. Guess "Time" will tell, all in due "Time"....


Dates are firmed up. Team registration open February 15th, and thanks to a whole bunch of talented minds, have done a sweet re-design of the RFLofSL team site which should be going online soon. I'll update you on that, when it is. But what I've seen of it, it's going a great help to meet the people in Relay For Life of Second Life, read why they Relay, follow the teams and events, all during the season and so much more. SO a big warm "THANK YOU" to everyone involved, on that project!

Many of the committees are looking for volunteers, in all sorts of capacities. From committee members, builders, scripter's, event performers, DJs, musicians, hosts, mentoring, sponsors, machinima, and, and, and.... For more information, join the "Relay For Life Volunteers" group in Second Life, check past notices, or, just open an IM and say "I want to volunteer", I am sure, you'll be scooped up in seconds. The same can be said for all the teams, established ones and new ones. So keep an eye out for notices in the "Relay For Life Volunteers" group. 

I know doing the Off Season Coordinator roll, I meet and talked to several people wanting to start a team. So I hooked them up with our very awesome PrettyKitty Gumbo, whom is heading up the "Teams Committee". But through that roll, and last years experience, and the lead up to this season, in discussion with all the wonderful people I have meet along the way, the one many things we talks about, is "why". 

Three letters that form one of the most profound words in the English language. As a child one of the simplest question to discovery. As a human, sometimes, one of the hardest, to find answers for.

I know for myself, I am super thrilled to be here. Ever since I found Relay last year, my whole real life has changed. My goals have changed. Well, that's not completely correct. I do have a goal to start a small business serving small business, that hasn't changed. What has changed, is the "how", and that's because of Relay. So yours truly, last September at the age of 50, enrolled into a 2 year college program for Advertising, and I am having a blast. I get to use all the best parts of the skills sets and work environments, I enjoyed the most from my previous careers, and I get to use them for something I enjoy doing. 

Last year, I read so many "Why I Relay" statements, postings, commemorative and luminary, wrote several myself I never posted, because I could find mine, I just knew I found myself though relay. And I DO LOVE to Relay. 

Maybe that's it I guess,...   "I Relay, for the love of Relay".

Bain Finch
Co-Chair, PR & Media Relations

No comments:

Post a Comment