Monday 12 March 2012

Lots and lots

Well our Relay For Life of Second Life Kick Off weekend started with a bang!

In under 34 hours these Relay fanatics, which includes yours truly, beat our 2nd season total of $41,000 and is currently at $47,700. Impressed and in awe of the passion you bring to Relay.


The Kick Off ceremonies on Saturday were simply inspiring and very touching. From the presentation of our history and the people that launched this chapter of Relay For Life of Second Life and how from our meager begins right up to our recent efforts. I was, like most, blown away with an OMG moment, when told that in 2011, Relay For Life of Second Life ranked 51st of all the Relay For Life under the Relay For Life banner. 

Without spilling the beans, our Pippa Rexden to up the mic, and to say we were moved, would be a grossly understatement of epic proportions. The reason I don't wish to "spill the beans" is we have a video in post production as I write covering our Kick Off Ceremonies, and I would like you to really hear it in own her words.

After our American Cancer Society liaison, Stingray9798 Raymaker read off the list of teams for the Parade of Teams, marking the opening of the 2012 season, everyone launched into parties and team events planned to later that day, or dove into the Fashion For Life - Fashion Faire SIMs.
After a few hours of exploring the Fashion For Life SIMs I found myself on the DreamSeeker Tienpo, Entertainment SIM, listening to the sounds of the one and only Grammy-nominated musician David Arkenstone, and yes the real live David Arkenstone.

 
From here I launched into visiting all the team events I could, and on Saturday were a bunch.  After running into MamaP Beerbaum, Chair of RFLofSL, and Co-Chairs Dwen Dooley and Nikki Mathieson several times, I made notes to use their Limo service next year. To be honest, I lost count how name parties there were going on and how many I manage to visit, but it many and energetic. 
Even saw the "Hair" piece of RFLofSL fame, and I have to saw, it is impressive in person. 

By the end of the day, I found myself back where it all started, back on the kick off build, and to my delight, there was still one party going on strong, so I joined in. Checking my friend list, I noticed Pippa was still on, so I called her up and invited her over to the party. Pippa was the leader builder for the kick off build and if there someone that should know that a party was still going on at the kick off, she and her team, was at the top of my list.

Truly was a beautiful day. And like all Relay, we were excited beyond belief to get going. Cancer fears the walker, and there are 100,000s of people, from all corners of this world and in cyber space too, whose only goal to find a cure and put the boots to cancer, once and for all. For a day that the words "You have cancer" will be followed up with the words "No Worries, we can cure that now", so no one have to lose people that are dear to us all from this thing called cancer. 

I truly believe that day is coming.

Bain

No comments:

Post a Comment